Thursday, August 9, 2012

Snake

Today I killed a king snake.  I am very afraid of snakes.  When I was a teenager a friend put a snake around my neck when I was napping.  Not so fun to wake up to his pet.  My family is afraid of snakes also.  My sister in Maricopa even jumps when she sees a snake on TV or in a book.  When our children were younger she would make them skip those pages.  When we lived in Alabama a rattle snake curled up on our front porch.  We lived by a creek and there were water moccasins everywhere.  when my husband mowed the grass they would all slither away from the mower.  I am sure that is how my children learned to run.  From the snakes.  Just kidding. 

In my opinion all snakes are potential killers.  If I let one go it will be the one that bites someone, or something I love.  So today when I was watering the inside dogs, who must go out to the dog run when we are not home, I came across a black snake with yellow rings.  I filled the 5 gallon jug and then I was washing the container we leave out for the Chihuahua.  When I lifted it up to rinse it out there was the snake.  I was startled.  Thank goodness I left the dogs inside.  I dropped the container on the snake and ran to get a shovel  so I could cut off it's head.  I picked up the container and hit the snake with the shovel.  It did not want to die.  I have killed snakes before and it surprised me how much it fought.  Any way it finally died.  I threw it in the garbage and went inside to google what kind it was. 

The snake most likely was a king snake.  Not poisonous.  But as I said before all snakes are bad.  I could not have left it there and put the dogs out.  They would have found it most certainly.  I texted my husband and of course he was busy and said "K".   Not you are so brave, I am so proud of you, What a big girl.  Just "K".  Oh well.  I still feel like a big girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment