Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Poor Sad Little White Chicken


Poor sad chicken.  Let me tell you about our two remaining white chickens.  They came with 8 other chickens from a friend.  She no longer wanted them because her children grew up and moved away.  She was getting to many eggs.  What, too many eggs?  Like most of the smaller animals we transported them in our dog kennel.  They came from high up on the mountain.  They rode in the back of the pickup.  When they arrived they were a little windblown.  We put them in with the other 8 chickens that we already had.  Right away they began to push the other chickens around.  Pecking anyone who got in the way.  They were the first to eat.  They got the first treats.  When we watered in the morning they were the first to drink.  The first to roost too.   They are very old.  They came to us used.  2 years old at least.  So when they started to die I thought it was okay.  Now when I took the baby roosters out of their tractor I expected some pecking.  But I did not think it would be that bad.  So anyway I moved the remaining teenage chickens and the two white chickens back into the old chicken coop. Leaving the 16, yes I counted 16 live baby roosters.  In the new coop.  I want to give them a chance to grow.  I expected the two white chickens to rule the roost again.  But only one did.  In fact she picked on everyone including her white sister.  Poor sad chicken has a sore foot, no tail feathers, and a hurt eye.  I scooped her up.  Put her in with the baby roosters.  She is eating, drinking, and pooping.  All good things.  I even got an egg from her this morning.  If she survives this I will be surprised.  She is a sad sight.  I will give her a little time to see if she heals.  I like to give them a chance.  Old white chickens do not have much meat on them, if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment