Sunday, August 19, 2012

Abby



This is Abby she started it all.  Abby is a lamancha.  Lamanchas are medium size to small goats.  They give nice quality milk.  They have the most unusual ears or lack of should I say.  They can hear, they have little bud shape ears.  She is standing on the milking station.  I open the gate to the pen and she jumps right up.  She is so quiet and has a kind personality.  If I call her she will come.  Not because I have treats.  She just comes and she will stay.  The others will only stay if I have treats.  She came to our house with her own house.  She likes to lounge in it or on it or by it.  But mostly in it.  I have put collars one all the female goats.  It makes it easier to handle them.  I really only have to handle DQ.  She is very stubborn and hard to deal with.  The other goats know exactly what to do and where to go.  The older females have no horns.  We chose not to dis bud our new goats.  I like the horns.  They look normal.  We use the horns as handles.  Besides the little horns that are burnt off sometimes grow back.  They come back in unusual shapes.  They are not strong and they break off easily.  The can also grow around into the scull.  So this means we must cut them.  They do not like this one bit.  I can imagine they experience pain.  Their horns are attached to the sinus cavity.  So we chose not to dis bud.  I feel bad for them when we have to cut them.  Heidi had a horn/ scur break off last week.  This coming week I will have to trim the horns again.  Abby's grows towards her eye.  Heidi's grows towards the center of the horns but into the scull.  So far Coco and DQ have not needed a trim.  I haven't seen any growth on them.  I believe the females are pregnant.  They have a nice shape to them.  It is hard to tell with goats.  There is no urine test for goats.  Wouldn't that be funny to see.  All the farmers crouching under their does with little sticks waiting for them to pee.  

No comments:

Post a Comment