Saturday, April 28, 2012

Saturday Update

This week I was very lazy. 
I went through the motions, you know.  Laundry, Dishes, Animals. LALALA. 
I had previously posted our little doelings on CL.  I have been corresponding with about five people.  You know you should read an add and do any research before you respond.  Otherwise you sound foolish.  In my add I listed all the pertinent information.  I still received emails asking questions when the information was clearly listed. Where we live, how much, how many, how old, what kind.  With one party we went back and forth for many emails.  Then the final response they asked where we were located (clearly listed).  When I said Casa Grande they said that was too far.  Why waste all that time.  With another party after sending many pictures and responses back they said they wanted pygmies and not dwarfs.  Why respond to an add if it isn’t something you want. I listed   Unless you want to see the cute little goaties.  People even wanted a discount.  Not just a little, a buy on get on free.  R U Kidding Me!  Do you know what goes into taking care of these little girls?  I am thinking these bargain hunters cannot afford to keep them. Hay is $16 to $18 a bail.    If they don’t sell I will just keep them and get a new buck to breed.  We don’t want any interbreeding.   I got a lecture about dehorning goats.  I chose not to disbud my goats.  This is my choice.  If you want a disbudded goat go buy one.  I see no good in this practice.  The goats I do have that were disbudded when I purchased them have had problems.  They grow back.  So now we have to monitor them so they don’t grow into their skull.  The scurs, as the horns that grow back are called, are much weaker than real horns.  They break off very easy and bleed and bleed.  OMG .  Seriously I didn’t realize this.  The two that we purchased with horns are just fine.  They do not harm others with them.  I can sometimes use them as handles, sort of.  It is my choice.  You do not have to purchase my goats. 
We received a large box of apples and a 50 lb. bag of onions.  What do you think I did with them?  Of course the goaties got some. They pushed and said "that's mine I want more."   Oh yes the pigs too.  They are still young and wait by the feeding barrel for their treats.  This is fine because I have heard horror stories of pigs biting off fingers. Well everyone got some.  Dent likes apples.  You would think he was dancing when he received his portion.  Merrel took her portion with no thanks.  Ducks and Chickens gobbled them up.  Even stealing from each other through the fence.  Like there will never be any more.  The dogs are easier to handle with only 3 inside.  I mean that with the most respect for the dogs who have left us.  They sit nicely while getting their portion.  Bandit the outside dog has a hard time sitting still.  She is still just a baby. Stretch let his float for a while then snuck up on his slice.  Perhaps he is pretending to be a shark.  He he he he.  My animals eat better than the humans do. 
Onions
I cut and chopped and bagged.  ONIONS, ONIONS, ONIONS.   I don’t think I will need to buy onions for a while.  Thank goodness.  I hated to buy them.  But I use them in everything.   Did you know that it is the gas enzymes that are released when you cut them that make you cry?  You have some options there.  Wear goggles, put them in water when cutting, or burn a candle.  I did not know this last one.  But my oldest came into the kitchen and lit a candle.  This stopped my crying.  I just thought I was getting used to the gasses.  Until I goggled it.  I love Google.  You can find almost anything. 
Apples
I made spiced apples, apple turnovers, apple muffins, and froze apple pie filling forever.  I made two jars of spiced apples for the neighbor and the neighbor’s brother, who we got this gift from.  My husband could only deliver one jar to the brother.  The other jar went into the fridge for when we next see the neighbor.  My oldest ate ours and the neighbors to. I have some more apples so I will be making more.  Maybe today.
Incubator
We have turned eggs diligently every 12 hrs.  I have added water to the little dish when it is low.  The temp has been steady.  When collecting eggs this week I collected the eggs the mama duck pushed out of the nest.  I was curious so I cracked it open.  How sad there was a little duck embryo.  You could see and eye, beak, body, feet.  It looked whole but not right at the same time.  I guess mama knows best.  This poor little duck probably would not have survived.

Romance
My husband and I have been married for 18 years this past Monday the 23rd.  We had a nice quiet dinner at home. 
My oldest and his girlfriend have broken up.  This happens in young love.  I’m sure she will not be his last girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment