Saturday, April 21, 2012

incubating eggs

Today I started to incubate eggs. The duck is still sitting, but she has pushed almost all of the eggs out of the nest. So I gathered eggs. Candled them using a toilet paper roll and a flashlight. The eggs with floaties in them I kept. I marked an x and an o on opposite sides of the eggs with a pencil. I placed a towel, little dish with water in an aquarium. I put a heating lamp above the eggs and placed a glass lid over it. Underneath the aquarium I have a large heated rice bag. Which I have to microwave for warmth. Perhaps I will invest in an electric heating pad. I want one anyway.

From my internet search on how to do this. The temperature needs to be from 99 to 103. Chicken eggs take 21 days to incubate. Duck eggs take 28 days to incubate. Turn the eggs every 12 hrs until the 17th day when you should not turn them. You need to check the eggs on the 4th day after starting this process. On the 19th day the chicks start to pip the shell. All chicks, which are going to hatch, should be out of their shells by the 21st day. When the eggs are hatched, lower the temperature to 95, this is the drying off period. Open the lid of the aquarium. As soon as the chicks have dried and fluffed up completely, remove them from the incubator and give them fresh water and mash.

We went to the store to price heating pads. $$$$. It will have to wait.

The Neighbor went to a farm that was downsizing and got 7 mini horses. They are sooooo cute. I can’t see how they will be productive on the homestead here. Only eating machines. But they are the darlingist little things. Is that a word?  I didn't get any pictures.  I will have to, then post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment